Monday, June 11, 2012

Marathon Monday

I recently finished the book "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall.  He writes about 'the greatest race never seen' and inspires runners and non-runners alike.

My running history is brief really. I started my career at Deloitte in January 2009, after graduating from college three weeks before. My first year was a challenge. In Jaunuary of 2010, I needed something else to focus on, besides work. On a whim, I registered for the inaugural Dallas Rock'n'Roll half marathon, even though I had never even ran a 5k or more before. I trained during busy season and ran my first half marathon on March 28, 2010. I was hooked. I ran my second half marathon in October 2010 in Disney World. My third and fourth half marathon was the Dallas Rock'n'Roll on March 27, 2011 and March 25, 2012 respectively. I really enjoy my annual tradition of running a half marathon during busy season, it is a great stress reliever during my busiest time of the year. In fact, I've already registered for my fifth half marathon, the Dallas Rock'n'Roll on March 24, 2013, just over three months after my marathon!

 Five years ago I wouldn't have thought I'd be training for a marathon. I wouldn't have guessed I would already have ran four half marathons.

 "We were born to run; we were born because we run." Born to Run, page 93

 My running self was born, at the age of 23 when I completed my first half marathon. Now, at the age of 26, I know I was born to run this marathon.

No comments: